Computing4Change Event at SC18!
This announcement is being shared with the SHI community on behalf of our colleague, Linda Akli!
Are you an undergraduate student who wants to use your technical skills to create positive change in your community?
SIGHPC is launching a new competition for students from diverse disciplines and backgrounds who want to work collaboratively to:
- Learn to apply data analysis and computational thinking to a social justice issue.
- Experience the latest tools and techniques for exploring data through visualization.
- Expand skills in team-based problem solving.
- Learn how to communicate ideas more effectively to the general public.
The next Computing4Change event will be held at the SC18 conference (11-16 Nov 2018, in Dallas, TX). SIGHPC will provide travel support for up to 16 students to attend SC18 for the competition.
REQUIREMENTS – To be eligible for this exciting program, you must:
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program at an accredited college/university.
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate at the time of the competition (November 2018).
- Have a minimum overall GPA out of 2.5/4 (or equivalent).
- Be able to participate in 6 webinars between July and November, to learn core skills and develop some experience with the tools (you will have input in the scheduling).
- Be able to attend the full competition in Dallas, Sunday morning through Wednesday evening (11-14 Nov 2018).
- Complete the online application form by May 21, 2018.
Students from any undergraduate background are eligible, although some preference will be given to students at the sophomore or junior level.
The travel awards include the cost of transportation, lodging, conference registration, and a meal allowance. All needed software will be provided.
Applications close: Monday, May 21, 2018
Winners announced: Late June
Questions? Check out the FAQs (frequently asked questions) for more information.