Jump start your data science career by applying for the inaugural year of Broader Engagement at the SIAM Conference on Mathematics of Data Science (BE@MDS22)!
Broader Engagement (BE) was created to engage people consistently underrepresented in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and promote inclusion within the scientific community. Beginning in 2015, Sustainable Horizons Institute (SHI) has organized BE programs at each of the bi-annual SIAM Conferences on Computational Science and Engineering. Due to the program’s success, SHI was asked to expand BE to other conferences and are pleased to announce BE at the 2022 SIAM Conference on Mathematics of Data Science (MDS22).
During the week-long conference, BE participants attend a rich scientific program that includes numerous interdisciplinary technical sessions, plenaries, and discussions that help advance knowledge and skill sets. The BE program also fosters a sense of belonging in the community through a program orientation, mentoring, small learning groups known as “Guided Affinity Groups,” and motivational workshops/activities.
Benefits/Planned Broader Engagement Activities:
- Welcome and Orientation
- Full conference technical program
- Technical Tutorials
- Fundamentals of Accelerated Data Science with RAPIDS
- Intro to Julia for Data Scientists
- High Performance Computing (HPC) Crash Course
- Securing Scientific Software Development
- Opportunity for students to present research
- Small Learning Groups called “Guided Affinity Groups” with daily meetings and required presentation at the end of the week
- Mentor Program
- Presentation Tips & Lightning Talks
- Career, networking, and professional development activities
If you would like to participate in BE@MDS22 you can:
- Apply as a funded BE participant to receive a travel grant for an in-person conference experience, including access to the full technical program, mentoring, and opportunities to practice and present research. Applications open through June 17, 2022!
- Serve as a mentor
- Serve as a guided affinity group leader
- Sponsor student participants
- Donate here
Visit the conference website to learn more about SIAM MDS22.
Join the community and give your career path a boost!
Apply for funding in the application system now through June 17, 2022!
I had so many self-doubts regarding the career… attending this workshop made me confident in the career path and informed me of the pitfalls I could have on my way and how to deal with those pitfalls. I also love the guided affinity groups–Aishat Motolan
Albany State University
I consider the Broader Engagement (BE) program experience to have been absolutely the most valuable and empowering conference experience I have had to date as a student.-Kevin Luna
San Diego State University
I was so inspired and enthused by all of the research, opportunities and the feeling of community, that when I got back, I started a student chapter of SIAM.–Pulkita Jain
Santa Barbara City College
For sponsorship opportunities visit here