Sustainable Research Pathways 2017: Building Connections Across Diverse Communities with Berkeley Lab Computing Sciences
Research Opportunities For Faculty and Students from Diverse Backgrounds
Imagine yourself visiting Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory for a fast-paced workshop where you showcase your research, meet distinguished computing science staff at Berkeley Lab, and explore summer research opportunities for you and/or your students!
Networking and Exploratory Workshop
To facilitate the possible matching of faculty and/or their students with lab research opportunities, selected faculty will be invited to a Dec. 4-5, 2017, workshop at Berkeley Lab. Computing Sciences staff will discuss their research projects and interests and invited faculty will present their work during a poster blitz and poster session. Ample time will be provided for further discussions to explore potential research collaborations and sponsored programs.
This workshop, developed under a partnership between Sustainable Horizons Institute and Berkeley Lab, is designed for faculty from a variety of institutions, including Minority Serving Institutions (MSI) and women’s and community colleges, which support students from under-represented or under-privileged backgrounds. Faculty learn about opportunities to engage in collaborative, cutting-edge research with Berkeley Lab computing scientists. Matched faculty will be invited to apply for summer research opportunities at Berkeley lab. There are opportunities for faculty to participate in faculty/student teams, or to send student interns (preference is given to faculty/student teams).
- Travel funding to attend Dec. 4-5, 2017 matching workshop
- Opportunity to meet with Berkeley Lab staff and discuss possible research collaborations.
- Potential to participate in summer research with Computing Sciences staff
- Faculty/student teams
- Students on their own
- Preference is given to faculty/student teams
- Must be a full-time faculty member at an accredited U.S. degree-granting, post-secondary, institution of higher education.
- Selected faculty will attend the workshop on Dec. 4-5, 2017.
- Faculty will participate in these workshop activities:
- Lab research presentations
- Poster Blitz and Poster session
- Speed matching meeting session
Review Computing Sciences research areas from the links below and specify your areas of interest in your online application.
Friday, September 29th, 2017
Deadline Extended! Apply by Friday, October 6th, 2017!
To facilitate matching, faculty will be expected to prepare various materials (including an abstract and poster) to showcase their research.
Faculty selected to attend the networking workshop will be notified in October and travel arrangements for the workshop must be completed by November 3, 2017.
Lab scientists review applications and select faculty participants based on their potential for a research collaboration match.
- Applications Open: Aug. 17, 2017
- Applications Due:
Sept. 29, 2017
- Deadline Extended: Apply by October 6, 2017
- Matching Workshop: Dec. 4-5. 2017
- Research Activities: Summer 2018
*Additional application requirements and other details can be found at http://cs.lbl.gov/careers/summer-student-program/
* More information about previous SRP workshops can be found at http://shinstitute.org/sustainable-research-pathways-srp/