Sustainable Horizons Institute (SHI) is seeking a Program Coordinator with 5-10 years of program coordination/management experience, ideally within a complex nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as managing and tracking project schedule and financial performance, project reporting, development/implementation of recruitment media content and placement, event planning, and customer relations.
The Program Coordinator will work closely with SHI staff and program sponsors and participants, as the activity partner, organizer, and marketeer on a variety of initiatives. The Program Coordinator will be responsible for planning events, organizing travel, managing virtual delivery, and communicating with applicants, reviewers, volunteers, vendors, and staff. Excellent communication/writing and organization skills, as well as initiative and planning are critical to success.
We are looking for a dynamic, organized, detail-oriented person to independently and collaboratively coordinate program activities and anticipate needs. We support a variety of students and early career faculty and professionals in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields, especially those from underrepresented and under-privileged backgrounds. We organize workshops and fund people to attend conferences, internships, and related activities. Must have an interest in helping others.
- Serve as first point of contact for applicants and beneficiaries of our programs
- Monitor and process applications and answer questions
- Work with vendors on the development of online application system
- Plan, organize and manage events including coordinating registration, catering, hotel, and transportation, etc.
- Administer virtual programs, or travel to program events and provide on-site support, and interact with program participants
- Develop content and distribute announcements, flyers, newsletters and other materials through social media, electronic mail, and web pages
- Gather and compile analytical information in a relevant format for reports, presentations and proposals including extracting and compiling data and developing charts on participants and program impacts
- Communicate, collaborate and provide information to volunteers, contractors, and staff
Education: Bachelor – Masters preferred – degree in scientific, engineering, math or technology discipline, higher education, business, or program management.
- A strong track record in program coordination/management: Identify, plan and implement activities necessary for successful program performance
- Detailed-oriented and very organized; proactive and independent self-starter; ability to prioritize and multitask; excellent collaboration skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including developing content and design of announcements, newsletters, social media, reports, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters. Exercise diplomacy and discretion appropriately. A great people-person!
- Available for occasional travel
- Proven ability to be productive and collaborative while working remotely
- Excellent computer skills including electronic mail, word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, collaboration and project management tools such as Google Docs, Google Sheets, Asana, SmartSheets, etc.
- Experience with nonprofits, STEM outreach/education programs, diversity and inclusion
- Experience developing and implementing student engagement strategies
- Dedicated passion for the SHI mission.
- Knowledge of federally-funded workforce diversity efforts to date in STEM disciplines is a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of educational project budgeting and project financing is a plus.
- Experience in web page development
Background checks / drug tests
A criminal background and/or credit check may be conducted for this position. Random, unannounced drug tests may be conducted.
Send a cover letter, resume, and list of references to: email@example.com
At Sustainable Horizons Institute, we don’t believe in “fixing” the underrepresented; instead, we focus on transforming work environments where leading scientists and researchers spend their careers—environments that have overlooked these communities for far too long. Our mission is to support and mentor scientists, mathematicians, and engineers from all underrepresented communities and foster science and technology ecosystems that value and seek greater inclusion and diversity. We build sustainable, inclusive connections between students, faculty and professionals so that everyone is welcome, everyone thrives, and everyone benefits from more innovative, more robust science. We strive to catalyze the normalization of inclusion.
Please visit www.https://shinstitute.org/ for more details.
Sustainable Horizons Institute is an equal opportunity employer. Sustainable Horizons Institute is committed to a workplace free from any form of discrimination, harassment, workplace violence, or workplace safety hazards.